Development Down by the Sea in Freeport, NY
Freeport Seabreeze Site Development
Village of Freeport, NY
Village of Freeport, NY Department of Public Works
AKRF prepared development plans for a 5-acre parcel known as the Seabreeze Site at the end of the Nautical Mile, the Village of Freeport’s premier maritime and entertainment district.
The purpose of the study was to identify objectives that would maintain the quality of life for local residents, while enhancing the maritime character of the waterfront.
Our work for this project included:
- Assessing the demand for a variety of potential uses at the site, such as hotel and conference facilities, restaurants, retail shops, and marinas.
- Preparing a financial feasibility study to help identify the potential economic return of redevelopment to the Village.
- Testing the feasibility findings by introducing developers to the site and presenting alternative scenarios.
- Facilitating a community outreach program to solicit public comments regarding possible site uses through community meetings and meetings with members of the local downtown business community.
- Preparing a market analysis based on a list of preferred uses identified during the public outreach process.
As a result of this process, three development scenarios were created, including a low-density open space use, a medium-density catering facility to replace a long-time landmark in the Village, and a high-density hotel/conference center that recalls a former use on the site.
Preliminary site plans were prepared for each alternative. Infrastructure requirements were analyzed, capital improvement costs were estimated, and financial feasibility and cost benefits of each scenario were evaluated.