Comprehensive Planning for a New Destination Resort in the Catskills
Adelaar, Town of Thompson, NY
Thompson, Sullivan County, NY
EPT Concord Resort
As part of a multi-disciplinary team, AKRF has integrated due diligence, land-use planning, environmental analyses, civil engineering, and permits/entitlement services for Adelaar, an approximately 1,700-acre market driven, master planned, destination resort community located in the Town of Thompson, Sullivan County, New York.
The proposed project will transform portions of the historic Concord Resort in the Catskills into a new world-class, all-season destination resort. In addition to upgrading the celebrated Monster Golf Course, Adelaar will include hotels, recreation facilities and spas, a conference center, entertainment village, waterpark, and a diverse residential portfolio. A trail system will connect the components of Adelaar to one another and to abundant open space that will be used to provide a variety of outdoor activities.
The project site also includes the Montreign Resort Casino, a gaming facility and hotel. In December 2014, Montreign was selected by the New York State Gaming Facility Location Board as one of only three Las Vegas style gaming casinos to be developed in New York. The board noted that “…Montreign presents a sophisticated analysis of the project’s infrastructure and service needs and a reasonable mitigation plan of impacts,” while citing Montreign as a project that will usher in a “new future for tourism in the Catskills.” Montreign Resort Casino is being designed to achieve LEED status.
The planning of Adelaar has balanced the beautiful and healthy ecosystem on the property with an ambitious and diverse development program. By integrating many of our disciplines (planning, traffic, engineering, economics, natural resources, cultural resources, air quality, and noise), we were able to play a vital role in the strategic planning and positioning of this important regional economic development project within Sullivan County.
AKRF’s services included:
- Early on due diligence in support of the resort master planner
- Support for the master developer in the creation of a Comprehensive Development Plan
- Amendments to the Town’s Planned Resort Development (PRD) zoning
- Traffic impact analyses of existing roadway networks and design of roadway improvements at various locations, including a new roundabout at the NYS Route 17 (future I-86) interchange
- Construction plans for off-site infrastructure improvements such as new roadways, walkways and pedestrian access, new traffic signals, roadway lighting and way finding, utilities, and construction staging/work zone traffic control
- A comprehensive stormwater management system that addresses both on-site and off-site improvements and that incorporates green infrastructure practices
- Engineering site plans for the Montreign Resort Casino site
- Analysis of the water and wastewater demand for the development along with the design of a new water distribution system and new sanitary sewers for wastewater conveyance
- Preparation of a Generic and Site Specific Environmental Impact Statement (GEIS/EIS) for the Resort under the New York State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA)
- Assistance with the preparation of an application for a gaming license with New York State Gaming Commission
- Permits/Approvals from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, NYS Department of Transportation, NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, NYS Department of Health, NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, Sullivan County Department of Public Works, and Town of Thompson